How Can We Help Bright Children Who Struggle
We are truly fearfully and wonderfully made! God has made a way for us to stimulate the brain to gain better function. It is called brain plasticity or neuroplasticity referring to the ability of the brain to change and grow new pathways all through our life. The reality is, if someone is experiencing a negative symptom, there is a root cause for that symptom to exist. With the right kind of stimulation, a root cause can often improve significantly or be eliminated altogether.
The brain is obviously a complicated organ. All the knowledge needed to improve your child’s future can’t be delivered through this venue. My encouragement to you, start your journey to learn more about the development our Creator put in place and the amazing gift of neuroplasticity. There are admittedly other factors that could influence a child’s academic performance. The metabolic or internal chemistry of a child’s body is one area that should definitely be explored but is outside the scope of this article.
ND, however, has been confirmed to have a profound positive effect on your child’s future if implemented. Your first step to gaining a broader understanding of ND is to read the previous articles in this “NeuroDevelopmental series” from the past issue of Homeschooling Today magazine. Another way to gain insight for your situation is through podcasts or YouTube presentations.
Explore these Resources here:
- Helping you find the little glitches to release the full potential of bright or even a gifted child – Organizing Einstein (#26 & #27)
- For an understanding of the early stages of movement of an infant for development of eyes, tactile integration, and coordination. Preschool Essentials (#48)
- The importance of tactile connections for handwriting – I said, “Hold Your Pencil Right!” (#36)
- Discover solutions for sensory distortions that may disrupt your child’s learning process. (#20, #21, #22)
- Revelations about the far-reaching effects of underdeveloped short term auditory memory that I call, the best-kept secret in education. (#4, #40)
- Overall understanding of the NeuroDevelopmental Approach (#2)
- Equip yourself with information to cut teaching time and accelerate academic results – The Keys to Learning Anything (#3)
If you prefer to receive your information visually, these presentations are also available on our YouTube Channel – Brain Coach Tips
The brain controls everything we do so if a child is struggling academically, physically or emotionally besides asking our Maker for answers for spiritual causes the brain is where we must look for the answers. All parts of the brain are interlinked and depend on the accurate and quick transfer of information to work optimally.
Much like a computer that needs to be defragged to work to its full potential, organizing the brain with specific activities helps the individual gain faster and advanced functional abilities.
We have to realize that there is a big difference between an individual’s IQ and their functional ability. When someone has gone through all the developmental steps to make the proper connections in the brain, it functions like a super-powered computer connected to high-speed internet. If those connections were not made for some reason, the function can resemble a computer connected to dial-up and will be less than optimal despite high intelligence.
You as a parent you hold the key to constructing the bridge over that wall of frustration and meltdowns to build strong boys and girls so you don’t have to later repair broken men and women. A few short, simple activities done consistently will change a child’s brain function for a lifetime. Remember it is never too late to change the brain.